At first glance, many would deem a tenor ukulele a ‘mini guitar’ and assume that it can make the same type of sound and could be played in the same way.
However, while some of these points may be true, a tenor ukulele is an instrument all of its own and can only be called similar to a guitar.
Can lead to guitar playing as it can prove to be an ideal introduction for those who might be intimidated by a full sized guitar.
Whether you are seeking to get proficient in the ukulele alone, or expect to move onto a guitar, the best tenor ukulele can help you to achieve this.
Top 6 Tenor Ukuleles Tables
Features of the Best Tenor Ukulele
The description of tenor linked to a ukulele refers to its size, which is approximately 17 inches in length. It is found between the baritone – which is larger – and a concert.
The shape will usually be akin to a full sized guitar.
Other considerations include:
- Accessories. There are many accessories that can be useful alongside a tenor ukulele, such as a carry case or pick.
- Brand. As with other instruments, there are particular brands that will be more well-known than others and will often have a corresponding price that is higher than other brands that are not so commonly known.
- Instructions. For those who are seeking a tenor ukulele in order to learn how to play, instructional materials will be useful whether it comes in the form of a booklet, DVD or link to a website. Check the specifications to determine whether this is part of the package of the ukulele.
- Tuning. Having the ability to tune the tenor ukulele will enable you to ensure that each string is always capable of playing the correct note and songs are easily recognizable.
- Size. Ukuleles are available in several different sizes with tenor being just one of them. If you are definitely seeking a tenor size ukulele, check that those being considered are actually this size as the various sizes can look similar.
- Design. Though the size of a tenor ukulele will be the same universally, the design used to decorate it will differ. Choosing a design that matches your style will allow you to show your personality.
Top 3 Tenor Ukuleles Reviews
The Lohanu LU-T ukulele is not just the ukulele itself, but it is also a complete package of accessories that means the instrument is ready to be played. The case, strap, tuner, two picks and pick holder are all included.
The ukulele itself is a brown color with the grain of the wood being visible. It is mainly made from sapele and mahogany, but has a rosewood fingerboard.
It is ideal for a learner as it also includes free video lessons that can be accessed online, which includes lessons for beginners.
The Aquila strings can be tuned with the die cast chrome gears, and the tuner included with the package is easy to use and already has a battery included.
The Lohanu LU-T is the best tenor ukulele for those seeking to learn to play as it benefits from features that help this process.
The Gretsch G9120 is a good looking ukulele as the body is made from mahogany that has been laminated, so it has a warm brown tone and looks good.
The classic shape ensures that it produces a clear sound that is projected well.
It benefits from being sturdily constructed, so you have peace of mind when transporting it from one place to another using the bag that comes with it.
It is pre-installed with strings that are easy to tune using the four gears.
For those that want a great example of a tenor ukulele, the Gretsch G9120 has the necessary features to prove satisfactory.
The Luna Mahogany Series Tattoo is a mahogany tenor ukulele that is for those who want an instrument that looks as good as it sounds.
This stylish tenor ukulele is a classic style, but it stands apart from others due to the design of the body. It comprises a stylish design that is laser etched into the mahogany, which is influenced by traditional Hawaiian tattoos.
The attention to the design continues with the rest of the instrument with the shark teeth shape shown as fret markers and the brand name painted on the neck.
It produces a sooth sound and is pre-strung so it can immediately be played on removal from the satin gig bag that it comes with.
The Luna Mahogany Series Tattoo is an authentic ukulele that looks and sounds good.